Understanding Autoresponder Rules
When creating an autoresponder there are two types of rules; Triggers and actions. Triggers are what start the autoresponder whereas the actions are what happen when the autoresponder is triggered.
Below are the types of triggers that you can use;
- Contact subscribes to a list: - The autoresponder will trigger when a contact subscribes to a list. You can then select the list that the contact subscribes for the trigger to occur.
- Contact unsubscribes from a list: - The autoresponder will trigger when a contact unsubscribes from a list. You then select the list that the contact is unsubscribing from for the autoresponder to trigger.
- Contact opens: - You can choose to trigger an autoresponder from three things. An email, a campaign and an autoresponder. When you select what type of open you want to trigger the autoresponder from, you can select specific emails, campaigns and autoresponders to trigger the autoresponder.
- Contact clicks: - You have three trigger options for contact clicks. You can select any link in any email. This will trigger when a contact clicks any link in any email. You can also choose a specific link. So if a contact clicks the specified link in any email, the autoresponder will trigger.
The last option is any link in specific content. When you choose this option you have to select which content you want to track for link clicks. You can choose from an email, a campaign or an autoresponder.
- Contact’s date Occurs: - You can choose to set an autoresponder to trigger when a contacts date occurs. This means that if you have a date field for your contacts like birthday for example, when that date occurs, the autoresponder will trigger. You can select which date field to use and what list you want it to be set up for.
- Specific date occurs: - You can choose a specific date that the autoresponder is triggered on. You can also select the specific list that the autoresponder will trigger to.
Below are the types of actions that can be performed when an autoresponder is triggered.
- Subscribe to lists: - This will subscribe a contact to the specified list when they trigger the autoresponder
- Log activity for the contact: - This will Log a specific activity to the contact when they trigger the autoresponder
- Create a task for the contact: - This will create a specific task for the contact that triggers the autoresponder
- Send an email to the contact: - Select an email to send to any contact that triggers the autoresponder
- Update contact’s field(s): - This will update the specified field for the contact with the content you also specify.
You can then decide when the action should be performed. The default is that the action is performed immediately after the autoresponder. You can also choose whether to delay it maybe a day after the autoresponder is triggered. For certain actions, you can choose to perform the action before the autoresponder is due to be triggered.